Here are some of the creative solutions that workshop attendees said could increase economic growth and prosperity.
What do you think? Join the conversation: @AtlanticBus; #ThinkBIG
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Create an InvestNL incentive program to encourage local investment
- Launch public education campaign about debt and deficits
- Build infrastructure for future needs
- Find a way to transform tourists/visitors into residents
- Buy local, spend local, support local
- Networking is important. Show up!
- Identify (and fill) gaps where people aren’t meeting their potential
- Set up small business forums for SMEs
- Combine English and French wherever possible
- Create personal “dashboards”—you can’t improve what you can’t measure!
- Implement student-centric learning that promotes individual success
- Centralize services and reduce the number of airports
- Create a made-in-N.S. growth strategy with localized solutions
- Partner students with business mentors
- Think outside the 40-hour week with flex hours and work arrangements
- Teach youth it’s ok to fail
- Focus on becoming an investment-friendly destination
- Make post-secondary education mandatory for all citizens
- Host trade shows. Encourage exports by bringing potential clients to Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island
- Island-wide high speed Internet!
- Institute a branding program that promotes Atlantic Canada as a great place to do business (not just a tourist destination)
- Create an attitudinal change—there’s nothing wrong with being successful
- Be creative with public transit: buses, vans, taxis, car pools
- End the bridge toll
Where they overlap
- Fully-funded free child care
- Take ownership of issues and problem solving (stop looking for government to fix everything)
- Lengthen immigrant attraction programs to five years; give them a chance to put down roots
- Market more, advertise more and promote local success stories
- Create a strategy to encourage international students to stay after graduation
- Find ways to promote regional cooperation
- Learn to sell and export more effectively
- Simplify and lower taxation
provincial communication and collaboration. We will. Our second annual thought leader-
ship workshop series will be held in September 2018.
For more information, visit www.atlanticbusinessmagazine.net/big-think