Looking for a way to entice delegates to your next meeting or conference? Something extra-special to make your event memorable? The perfect way to unwind after a tough round of meetings or negotiations? Here’s a sliver of what’s possible in Atlantic Canada.
• Imagine having dinner with Dali at the Beaverbrook Art Gallery. Your group can feast within feet of Salvador Dali’s towering 13′ x 10′ masterpiece, the Santiego el Grande. Or stage a Maritime Kitchen party: combine steamed lobsters with live music either at the elegant Fredericton Convention Centre, or in the casual warehouse-style Fredericton Boyce Farmers Market.
• Time for an outdoor break? Consider walking, jogging or biking along 85 km of trails; canoeing or kayaking along the majestic Saint John River; golfing at one of the six courses in the region including Kingswood signature course with its 30-ft. waterfall.
• Feast on delicacies from the Bay of Fundy in the Hall of Great Whales at the New Brunswick Museum. Your conference delegates will marvel at the life-size replica of Delilah, a right whale, finbacks and other Bay of Fundy sea creatures.
• Ready for some adventure? Experience the power of the world’s highest tides at the Reversing Rapids by diving through the waves on a jet boat. For a quieter pace, head to the Saint John City Market for some dulse! This unique Bay of Fundy treat is like seaweed jerky.
• How about arranging a couple of hours for your delegates to fly high through TreeGo – an aerial obstacle course? If you prefer to keep your feet on the ground, wheel over to Le Pays de la Sagouine and become an Acadian for an evening.
• Magnetic Hill Winery does group wine tastings at their vineyard – always a hit. Another way to impress participants is to have your opening reception in the beautiful Capitol Theatre, followed by staying for a musical or theatrical event. On dark nights, you can also have the stage set up for dinner!
• Go way back in time with a private dinner in Alexander Keith’s original cellars, hosted by actors in 1863-era costumes with characters who set the mood with songs, stories, and mugs of Keith’s finest. Go”ooh” and”aah” at the famed Halifax Citadel or Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Bonus: exclusive catering options available; entertainment options are mindboggling.
• Consider pre- and post-convention options – everything from shark fishing expeditions to hiking, horseback riding, and sea kayaking. Top off your meeting/ convention by taking surf lessons or going on a scenic vineyard and wine tasting tour.
• Where else can you host 500 of your M&C closest friends for a lobster dinner on a secluded beach? Or picture this: after your session in P.E.I.’s new conference centre, walk through the doors facing the waterfront, step onto a boat, and head out to go lobster fishing. It’s as simple as that.
• As P.E.I. has more musicians per capita than anywhere else in Canada, it’s really easy to arrange for just about anything, anywhere – including a ceilidh (toetapping, foot stompin’ musical soirée). It’s even possible to hobnob with the Fathers of Confederation.
• Being the most north-easterly point in North America, Newfoundland has its own time zone – half-an-hour off-kilter with the rest of the world. Head to George Street after your sessions. Voted Canada’s best entertainment district, George Street has the most pubs and bars per capita of any street in North America.
• Consider touring historical villages like Brigus and Cupids, having a gourmet picnic at a lighthouse, visiting an archaeological dig, learning how to stepdance or heading out on an excursion to find puffins and whales.
• It’s not often you can offer delegates a chance to visit two World UNESCO Heritage Sites (Gros Morne National Park & L’anse aux Meadows). Imagine adding to that, a chance to walk on the earth’s mantle, or the opportunity to hike on mountains older than the pyramids.
• Where else can you tour majestic fjords, or take a boat tour along iceberg alley to view whales and 10,000 year old icebergs? These are just a few starters. It’s all rather mind-boggling when you think of it.
As we said in the beginning, we know this is little more than a teaser of the magical moments that await Atlantic convention goers. Follow this story on social media to share your favorite Eastern Canada conference add-ons with other readers.