Real Fake Meats, the East Coast’s first vegan butcher shop, has turned on the ‘open’ sign in the North End of Halifax. Owned by Top Chef Canada alum Lauren Marshall, the butchery at 2278 Gottingen Street sells plant-based cheeses, meats and ready-to-go sandwiches and donairs.
Newfoundland fraud-detection company lands major US client
Verafin, the Newfoundland and Labrador-based fraud detection software company, has announced a new client. United Bank, a major financial services company in the United States will implement Verafin’s FRAMLx, their cloud-based, enterprise BSA/AML and fraud detection platform.
Cannabis NB lays off workers three months post-legalization
After the busy holiday season, Cannabis NB, New Brunswick’s cannabis retailer, has laid off 60 employees. In the three months since the legalization of cannabis, the retailer says they have reevaluated their operational needs and let go of seasonal contract employees as well as part-time and full-time staff.
Bloomfield, P.E.I. bar closes abruptly
Route 145 Bar and Grill in Bloomfield has closed its doors just days after holding New Year’s Day celebrations. The owner posted a brief Facebook post announcing the closure after a late-evening disturbance brought the RCMP to the lounge. No formal charges have been laid.
NEIA announces first ever Environmental Industry Awards
The Newfoundland and Labrador Environmental Industry Association (NEIA) have presented the first ever Environmental Industry Awards, recognizing companies and individuals who are helping to make the province a greener place. Intelligent Materials and Monitoring took home the Cleantech Innovation Award while Anaconda Mining took home the Business Excellence Award. The Environmental Industry Champion Award was given to Leslie Grattan, an environmental consultant and entrepreneur.
- Stats Can reports job gains in Atlantic Canada
- Peppereka offers fast-casual dining in Dartmouth
- Irving to hire 7500 people by 2021
- New Brunswick company scores on Dragon’s Den
- Rodd announces revamp of N.S. hotel
- Cannabis Legalization selected as business story of the year
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- WestJet reassigns St. John’s to Dublin flight to Halifax
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub