The Canadian Press has selected the legalization of cannabis in Canada as the Business Story of the Year award winner, determined by a vote of the country’s newsrooms. The stories surrounding legalization and its implications accounted for 60 per cent of the votes cast across the country by business reporters and editors.
McInnes Cooper adds pair of partners
Two lawyers have been named as the new partners at law firm McInnes Cooper. St. John’s- based litigation lawyer J. Alex Templeton and corporate lawyer David Wallace, who is based in the Halifax office, will officially become partners January 1, 2019.
Fredericton diner closes after half a century
Frank’s Finer Diner, which started out as a fish and chips joint in 1966, will be closed come Christmas. The Fredericton restaurant has been a staple in the northern part of the city for more than half a century and 12 people will lose their jobs once it closes its doors.
Newfoundland and Labrador to see the strongest economic growth in Canada
According to The Conference Board of Canada’s Provincial Outlook: Autumn 2018, Canada’s most easterly province will be leading the country in economic growth. Newfoundland and Labrador’s offshore market, which includes operations at Hebron and Hibernia’s platforms, will fuel the growth of the province’s GDP by 5.2 per cent in the coming year.
St. John’s ramen eatery to finish slurping at year’s end
After a year and a half of business, Bad Bones Ramen has announced their closure at the end of December. Owners of the St. John’s restaurant posted an ad about the closing in the local independent newspaper The Overcast and confirmed with CBC that the rising costs of rents in the downtown area is the reason for their end of year finish.
- Atlantic Canada’s first vegan butcher shop opens in Halifax
- Rodd announces revamp of N.S. hotel
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- WestJet reassigns St. John’s to Dublin flight to Halifax
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub
- SALT goes brick-and-mortar for the holidays
- Gaga for Google! 500 attend digital skills workshop in St. John’s
- Two new projects for Michelin in Pictou County
- Cannabis Update: Who sold first and who sold out in Atlantic Canada