Norweigan salmon farmer Cermaq, a subsidiary of Japan’s Mitsubishi Corp. based in BC, has announced their proposal to lease sites in Nova Scotia for salmon farming. The company says they hope to obtain 20 salmon farm licenses along with two hatcheries and a processing plant and have listed four site options in the Chedabucto Bay region along the eastern shoreline and the St. Mary’s region south of Digby.
Habitat opens new Re-Store in St. John’s
The new home of Habitat for Humanity NL Re-Store at 323 Kenmount Road opened for business on April 5 to a lineup of customers. The store’s 9,100 square feet is a significant increase from their smaller location on Logy Bay Road and aims to generate funds for the charity, which builds affordable housing for low-income families from the sale of used furniture as well as overstock or discontinued building supplies.
Two women to spearhead Saint John Port Authority
Port Saint John has announced that Lisa Keenan was elected to the position of chair by her peers. With this new addition, Saint John is the first Port Authority in the country to have an all-female leadership team as Keenan joins the board’s vice chair Donna Gates in the leadership position. Keenan has been a member of the board since 2015.
Jonathan Torrens reusing his Street Cents
Credit Unions of Atlantic Canada announced on April 2 they will be partnering with Jonathan Torrens of Canadianity Content Studios to create a new financial literacy show. The former Street Cents host will star in “Your Two Cents” which will target a new generation of consumers, launching the eight-part web series in early spring
Chorus Aviation adds six to their fleet
Halifax-based Chorus Aviation has announced the addition of six new regional aircraft bringing the number of their leased aircraft to 40. The transaction, which was initially announced on February 21, 2019, includes two ATR72-600 aircraft on lease to Azul Airlines of Brazil, two Q400 aircraft on lease to Ethiopian Airlines, and two Q400 aircraft on lease to Jambojet of Kenya.
- Coffee shop opens inside Volta Labs
- Startup Canada awards honour Atlantic entrepreneurs
- Volta bestows ecosystem awards to Atlantic Canadian startup supporters
- Feds invest $47-million into Port of Halifax
- Atlantic Business Magazine founders inducted into AJAs Hall of Fame
- P.E.I. welcomes five business leaders into hall of fame
- UNB to offer cannabis courses in tourism and business
- St. John’s flocks to The Rec Room entertainment and dining complex
- Halifax doughnut shop opens up the street from competition
- Minimum wage increases across Atlantic Canada