St. John’s restaurant Mohammed Ali goes up for sale
Despite expanding to a second downtown location last year, Ali Al Haijaa has decided to put both his restaurants up for sale with plans to move out of the province — probably somewhere sunnier according to an interview he did with CBC on April 13. Al Haijaa, who immigrated from Palestine 12 years ago, is just another indicator of the difficult economic times in Newfoundland, especially for small-business owners: Last year was his worst to date.
$5 million in funding from ACOA
The Charlottetown-based CDMO will benefit from a federal investment to upgrade their Windsor, Nova Scotia facility. The expansion means at least 60 new jobs at the company by 2020 which develops and manufactures drug materials for pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
Read more from the Government of Canada announcement here
connecting Newfoundland and Labrador
With last week’s release of the study outlining the viability of a connection between Newfoundland and Labrador via underwater tunnel, Quebec says they are willing to contribute to the project. Premier Philippe Couillard didn’t specify a monetary amount the province would contribute to the 15-year project which is currently expected to cost $1.7 billion.
The former apothecary on Richmond Street has been purchased by Adams Green accounting firm with hopes of transforming the building into a coworking space. The certified B-Corporation aims to provide a community and working space for both not-for-profit and for-profit businesses, to be called The Wheelhouse, fitting right into the Waterloo Village neighbourhood: it’s less than a minute’s walk to the Social Enterprise Hub.
more than 1000 per cent growth
According to Statistics Canada, hotels on the Island saw a profit increase from $800,000 to $9.2-million between 2012 and 2016. With the investment in Confederation celebrations in 2014 and the Canada 150 events in 2017, the accommodations industry saw a substantial increase in occupancy rates.
- Atlantic Canada’s first vegan butcher shop opens in Halifax
- Rodd announces revamp of N.S. hotel
- Cannabis Legalization selected as business story of the year
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- WestJet reassigns St. John’s to Dublin flight to Halifax
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub
- SALT goes brick-and-mortar for the holidays
- Gaga for Google! 500 attend digital skills workshop in St. John’s
- Two new projects for Michelin in Pictou County