Atlantic Container Line, the New Jersey based shipping company, has announced the closure of their office in Halifax at the end of 2018. As one of the only global shipping companies headquartered in Halifax and almost 50-year old tenancy at the port, the company says it can’t continue office operations. The twice weekly calls to Halifax will not be affected meaning six people stay on staff but 15 will not.
National insurance company purchases New Brunswick firm
The nationwide insurance management agency, Totten Insurance Group, has acquired Saint John-based Anderson McTague & Associates Ltd. The Atlantic Canadian company have worked as independent insurance brokers since 1937 and President Chuck McTague will join Totten and report to Dei Cont.
Newfoundland IT companies consolidate into Vision33
St. John’s-based zedIT Solutions has announced they will be consolidating their three businesses which will be known as Vision33. President Tony Whalen has been running the three companies — zedIT solutions which handled eGovernment solutions, zedSuite’s software solutions and the current company Vision33 — for 15 years with 30 offices and 400 employees around the world and will now run them all under the latter company’s branding.
Cat cafe to open in Fredericton
New Brunswick’s first cat cafe is set to open later this month in Fredericton. The Puurfect Cup – A Cat Cafe is working in partnership with the local SPCA to provide a temporary home to adoptable cats so patrons can enjoy a good cup of coffee and a cuddle with a kitty when the cafe opens on October 20.
Grant Thornton acquires Charlottetown accounting firm
MacPherson Roche Smith, a Charlottetown-based accounting firm, has been purchased by Grant Thornton LLP. The public accounting and consulting firm, which has been operating for more than 40 years, will see their 25 employees join the Grant Thornton team as part of the sale.
- Cannabis Legalization selected as business story of the year
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- WestJet reassigns St. John’s to Dublin flight to Halifax
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub
- SALT goes brick-and-mortar for the holidays
- Gaga for Google! 500 attend digital skills workshop in St. John’s
- Two new projects for Michelin in Pictou County
- Cannabis Update: Who sold first and who sold out in Atlantic Canada
- Online babywearing shop opens brick-and-mortar store in Moncton