Today, the minimum wage on Prince Edward Island rises from $11.55 an hour to $12.25 an hour. This 70-cent increase almost doubles last year’s increase when it rose 30 cents from $11.25 on April 1, 2018. P.E.I.’s minimum wage continues to be the highest in Atlantic Canada, with Nova Scotia rising 55 cents today to $11.55 an hour. Newfoundland and Labrador went from $11.15 to $11.40, while New Brunswick’s 25-cent increase brought their minimum wage to $11.50.
Winners of Mel Woodward Cup announced
Five student-led businesses walked away with more than $35,000 in prize money after the 2019 Mel Woodward Cup held its final at the Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship on March 28. The three winning startups to take home $10,000 were PolyUnity, which uses 3D printers to make medial simulations, Duff:Ocean Resources, who are developing a way to extract chitin from invasive crab species, and UnVound Chemicals, a company working on a process to extract substances from unused medications for re-use. Prospre and ECHARGES took home $3,000 and $2,000 runner up prizes respectively.
Canopy Growth gets the green light in Fredericton
The Canopy Growth Corporation received the cannabis production license for their new Fredericton facility on Friday, March 29. Plants were moved into the new $40-million plant almost immediately and the license means more than 100 new jobs for the New Brunswick city.
Pipers opening and closing stores
St. John’s retailer Pipers has announced its expansion plans for the summer. The announcement of their new Bay Roberts store, which is set to open in 2019, comes along with the closure of two other locations, one on O’Leary Avenue and the other in Mount Pearl, both due to leasing issues.
Beloved bar closes in Halifax
Tom’s Little Havana, closed March 27 after more than 20 years of serving up food and drink. In 2015, the bar moved from its much-loved hole in the wall at 5428 Doyle Street to 1540 Birmingham Street after their building was demolished. It will be replaced with Sura Lounge, adjacent to its partner restaurant Rasa.
- Win tickets to sold-out Obama event
- Coffee shop opens inside Volta Labs
- Startup Canada awards honour Atlantic entrepreneurs
- Volta bestows ecosystem awards to Atlantic Canadian startup supporters
- Feds invest $47-million into Port of Halifax
- Atlantic Business Magazine founders inducted into AJAs Hall of Fame
- P.E.I. welcomes five business leaders into hall of fame
- UNB to offer cannabis courses in tourism and business
- St. John’s flocks to The Rec Room entertainment and dining complex
- Halifax doughnut shop opens up the street from competition