LABRADOR BITCOIN MINING EXPANSION UNDERWAY
James Goodwin is leaving his practice at St. John’s-based law firm Rogers Rogers Moyse to grow his bitcoin mining business in Labrador. Along with partner and CTO Kevin Cooper the two head up Great North Data which will see a major expansion in the coming year with the purchase of a $1-million Wabush warehouse. Bitcoin business in Labrador is expanding and the first bitcoin machine was installed in Labrador City at Tobin’s Convenience Store just last week.
Gold mining to restart in Bishop’s Falls
Sokoman Iron Corp. is in preparations to start mining for gold just off the Bay d’Espoir highway in central Newfoundland. The Moosehead project will take place at a site discovered in the 1980s near Bishop’s Falls that has most recently been revived by Altius Minerals after being dormant since 2004. Drilling is set to begin by early June.
Saint John cruising
The cruise season for Port Saint John sets sail May 1 with high hopes of being the best year yet. The port annually contributes almost $50-million to New Brunswick’s economy and with 75 ships scheduled to dock in Saint John (15 more than last year), they plan on 176,000 passengers coming ashore this season.
Summerside hotel under new ownership
Checking in at The Loyalist Country Inn will be different come October. Paul Murphy and fiancée Darla Brown purchased the P.E.I. hotel in March with plans to make major changes to the 87-room property. Using a $4-million loan from Finance P.E.I. to purchase and renovate the hotel, the extensive overhaul will begin in October and become part of the Best Western Signature Collection.
Miss Mildred joins Cooke Aquaculture
Cooke Aquaculture is adding a new vessel to their fleet to help deal with sea lice on their farmed salmon. The Miss Mildred has a Thermolicer system that helps clean the salmon with warm-water baths instead of chemicals. This is the first ship in Atlantic Canada using the Norwegian technology and will be used in New Brunswick and Newfoundland initially where the lice problem is biggest, as well as the company’s Nova Scotia operations.
- Cannabis Legalization selected as business story of the year
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- WestJet reassigns St. John’s to Dublin flight to Halifax
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub
- SALT goes brick-and-mortar for the holidays
- Gaga for Google! 500 attend digital skills workshop in St. John’s
- Two new projects for Michelin in Pictou County
- Cannabis Update: Who sold first and who sold out in Atlantic Canada
- Online babywearing shop opens brick-and-mortar store in Moncton