The Antigonish chocolate company Peace by Chocolate owned by new Canadian Tareq Hadhad has been selected by the Growth with Google program (a free training program to help grow business skills) as the National Hero Case. After immigrating from Syria in 2016 Hadhad and his father started the company and now their chocolate is sold in more than 400 stores across Canada.
Organigram signs two-year cannabis deal with Newfoundland & Labrador
Once adult recreational cannabis is legalized on October 17, New Brunswick-based Organigram Holdings Inc. will be the licensed suppliers to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Organigram Holdings Inc. — the parent companies of Organigram Inc. and Canopy Growth Corporation — signed a two-year deal with the province for supply and distribution of cannabis for Canopy Growth’s Tweed-branded operations in the province.
Cat opens in St. John’s
After much social media buzz, the Mad Catter Cafe is open in Newfoundland’s capital city. The Duckworth street cafe will be full of cats for patrons to enjoy while having their coffee, but the felines will also be up for adoption if you find them just too cute to leave. Adoptions services will be handled by the City Humane Services.
New Brunswick Business Council names new chair
Lee Corey, the founder of the Corey Nutrition Company, has been named the new chair of the New Brunswick Business Council. Corey’s pet food company has been in business since the early 1980s and he replaces two-year chair Assomption Vie CEO Andre Vincent.
Sobeys acquires Farm Boy grocery chain
Sobeys’ parent company has reached a deal to purchase the Ontario-based grocery retailer Farm Boy for $800-million. The deal will include the sale of the 26 Farm Boy stores throughout the province in a bid for expansion into Ontario. Farm Boy will be set up as a different company but will allow for Sobeys growth in the province with some conversion of existing Sobeys stores.
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- WestJet reassigns St. John’s to Dublin flight to Halifax
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub
- SALT goes brick-and-mortar for the holidays
- Gaga for Google! 500 attend digital skills workshop in St. John’s
- Two new projects for Michelin in Pictou County
- Cannabis Update: Who sold first and who sold out in Atlantic Canada
- Online babywearing shop opens brick-and-mortar store in Moncton
- Global shipping company closing Halifax office