Stephen Kimber wants to know: What should a post-Harper government do to un-Harper Canada?
This poll is closed. Responses are posted below.
Let’s hope we get the chance – soon – to do the following:
1. Repeal the Unfair Elections Act;
2. Ban omnibus bills, except for “housekeeping” matters at the end of each session of Parliament;
3 Suspend any application of minimum sentences, pending review;
4. Cancel all planning and construction of unnecessary new prisons;
5. Cancel and restructure the niggardly lump-sum payments for veterans, then cut paperwork and delays that hurt them as much as their war wounds.
6. Pass legislation on marijuana within the first couple of months, so as to get this nonsense out of the way right from the start; emphasize public health concerns, and fund more REAL scientific research, as necessary;
7. Restore research funds for basic and applied science; restore the excellence of the National Research Council and other such bodies;
8. Disband the so-called “communications” branches of every Ministry, and explicitly free government scientists to publish all their studies, and make explanatory interviews an integral part of every publication.
I am confident that each of the above would (will?) be helpful, but more ideas are surely needed.
Restore national health care and work with the provinces. This will be the most efficient way to begin the healing cycle.
Restore science, evidence, expertise and data, as in the long form census, to their rational place in making government decisions. Allow government watchdogs to remain at arm’s length from political interference, and do their jobs without the certain expectation that if they step out of Harper’s line, they will not be renewed.
Try to restore Canada’s reputation from it’s present position as an environmental naysayer and a predictable, one sided mouthpiece, rather than a fair minded player in international affairs.
There’s a lot of rot and mold to clean up and it will take years to do but the big items that need to be addressed ASAP include:
1. Repeal the fire-and-brimstone “crime bill” that is pretty much unconstitutional anyway.
2. Restore mental health services / rehabilitation for inmates for better social reintegration.
3. Restore Statistics Canada’s “long-form” census.
4. Restore the political tax credit to give voice to other non-corporate political views.
5. Repeal the so-called Fair Elections Act.
6. Begin to rebuild the federal government’s science capabilities to develop sustainable and rationale policies re the environment, green energy, pipelines and climate change.
7. Recharge the CBC’s budget.
8. Shift the military back to its internationally respected peacekeeper role.
9. Rework personal taxes, i.e., restore the GST (which is an equitable tax) back to 7% [I won’t hold my breath on this one given the widespread ignorance of its inherit fairness] and decrease punitive income tax rates.
10. Restore health transfers to the provinces.
11. Establish a forensics team [for the lack of a better description] to drill down into the myriad of ideologically motivated regulations, rules, procedures, etc. slyly imbedded into the core operation of government departments / agencies by PMO-politicos in order to re-establish transparency in the federal public service.
12. Review the qualifications of every executive level or board appointee … then as necessary … fire at will.
Repeal all the legislation enacted by the Cons. Reinstate environmental protection. Invest in green energy.
Charge Harper with treason.
First of all, the criminals within the harper gov need to be held accountable for the crimes against canada and its citizens, fines and jail time. The protections and laws that were taken away e.g., thru omnibus bills, fipas.. must be restored. Obsolete election process must be changed to proportional representation, so we do not get stuck with more governments like this, or the alternatives who are not much better. Also we need to stop the corporate welfare, bailouts.. control by corporations in general.
A deep inquiry about corruption in the parliament house with a 4 year sanction on any conservative party and an order to remain within the limit of the country for all conservative members or affiliate pending the result of the inquiry.
Reinstate per vote subsidy, remove the 75% tax credit on political donations – should be replaced with the same tax credit as any other charity. Decrease, not increase, the allowable amount donation per person. There should be a more even playing field for all candidates to get their information out there, without all the marketing and coercion, dirty tricks and slime.
New energy would start yesterday.(solar) There would be absolutely no corporation donations or involvement of any kind in Government. I would shut down free trade and build, buy Canadian. All people would make decent income. No Canadian would be threatened, to have there home stead destroyed and all Canadians would be safe from fracking and the like. Other countries may not own any lands.Period. Nor sue Canadians. All law pertaining to activists and pot smokers would be struck, pot, peaceful activism would be a Canadians right, pot would be legal and striking would be the expression of dissatisfaction, all totally legal. There would be no corrupt anything allowed in Government. I would scrap all the history changes, all the pictures of me places would be scraped and the old would be returned. I would pass Law protecting Democracy, that a Harper may never happen again. All scientist may freely publish truth. All Liars would be removed from there positions immediately. All government officials that Lied to obtain office would be fired. Attacking and Lying of others will not be allowed. That is no way for grown politicians to behave. The environment would be protected, no excuses, backed by Law.
Stop the players in all parties, it’s a game.
In a perfect world? Harper, Right, Porter, Baird etc, will be in jail. EI recipients will be honored instead of degraded. Our military personnel will be respected. Oil subsidies will be stop and if the oil industry can survive so be it. All that government agencies that makes Canada Canada will be re-instated. the American style campaigning will be made illegal. The omni bus will be put through parliament one article at a time.
But Most importantly, Harper need to get jail time for his disrespect of our political system AND to insure the message is clear: Neo-liberals are NOT welcome in Canada.
It is going to take a while to un-Harper Canada. Most importantly, it is going to take all the other parties, the NDP, the Greens and the Liberals, working very hard, AND IN TANDEM to accomplish it.
But it must be done.
That’s easy, but not simple. UNDO everything Harper has “done”! It will probably take years or decades to undo the damage reformacons have caused, here in Canada and our reputation around the world.
Next, charge all responsible CONS, especially Harper, with “crimes against humanity”
There is far too much power in the PMO, that needs to be addressed.
Repeal Bill C38
Review all omnibus bills passed by this government.. admittedly will probably take a decade.
Immediately strengthen environmental regulations re oil sand and pipelines
Repeal the Unfair Elections Act. This should be No. 1 actually.. there is far too much that needs to be done to repair the damage to cover it here, but that will be a start.
Bring back the long form census.
First issue a global public apology to all of the nations and organizations Harper has offended, and promise to keep our stick on the ice in future. Then show we mean it by throwing every Cons criminal in prison (I am quite sure there are enough charges to go around), and relieving them of their pensions. These will help pay down the national debt. Then de-register the Harper Conservative Party, and legislate background checks on all aspiring political leaders. If there is a whiff of religious fundamentalism, racism, support for apartheid, or neo-nazi association – they don’t even get to apply…that’s all just for starters.
Change the following acts to protect our most valuable resource…our water: Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, the Fisheries Act, the Navigable Waters Protection Act
Re-enact the Navigable waters act. Make clean drinking water a right not a privilege. Legalize Marijuana, legalize prostitution. Make CEO’s criminally responsible for Pollution violations. Remove all Corporate status as a person. Corporations are not people they are business. Raise Corporate taxes to 18% and fund healthcare and infrastructure upgrades. Bring in proportional representation. Make voting mandatory, voters get a tax rebate violators get a fine. Investigate missing Women, fund a $10 Million inquiry. Investigate Voter fraud and election tampering with the sole purpose being to arrest and charge any violators. Make Election tampering a minimum 5 year sentence. Properly fund refugee health services in Canada. Fund our Military at 2% GDP and build an armed forces that can meet our Nato and UN commitments. Give FN the respect they deserve and fix the underfunding of services and education on reserves. Work with them instead of against them. Scrap the TPP and the China trade pact. Rehire our Scientists and remove all obstacles for them to speak out about their research. Invest in Green tech and remove Oil subsidies. Switch all Oil sector funding to Green tech developement over 5 year span. Fund a Solar roofing plan across Canada.
Change the environmental protection legislation to in fact protect the environment. This includes the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, the Fisheries Act, the Navigable Waters Protection Act.
Return funding to government departments to allow them to carry out their mandate. This includes all of the public service, but especially those departments responsible for social services, veterans, parks, health, transport.
Renew our international reputations in terms of peace keepers, climate change leaders, immigration.
Institute incentives for energy conservation rather than natural resource exploitation (i.e. tar sands).
Reverse the anti-environmental laws that were sneaked into Omnibus “budget” bills, starting with undoing the removal of protection from navigable waters. Then go on to undo the rest of the environment-damaging laws Harper has brought in.
Fire the useless sack of f***ing sh*t …..The pr*ck wants the world on welfare wages ….Government people can work for minimum wage ….Cause that sack of sh*t is useless. Tracy
Un-make or review every law made by that idiot and find him a warm home in the jails he so loves!
To begin with, ignore the special interest campaigns that will hijack this poll, particularly the proportional representation lobby which will pitch rigging election to favour party representation over democratic voices.
We elect Members of Parliament to the Parliament of Canada, not parties, movements, or prime ministers.
General Elections see an election in each riding to choose the Member of Parliament for that riding, not governments, not parties, not movements, not prime ministers. Distorting democracy, rigging elections and calling it wrongly “electoral reform,” by taking away our right to choose our MP in parliament by replacing our vote with party national popular vote steals democracy, empowers party, disenfranchises citizen rights to vote.
It also empowers separatists who are given legitimate grievance by stealing local rights to democracy through party oppression.
In fact, the present government is formed by 54% of communities electing MPs who belong to a party I don’t support. I regret the choice other Canadians have made to elect MPs belonging to Stephen Harper’s party but democracy requires that I respect their choice.
Democracy requires that we respect the choice of the demos – the people who elect their own MP for their own community – not party. Proportional representation is not democracy.
Protect our parks and Arctic from exploitation. Invest in clean energy and create jobs in wind and solar energy. Restore Canada’s greatness in peacekeeping. Take care of our vets. Abolish the senate. Go away.
We need to bring the jobs back to the Canadians. The TFW program will rake us back to the 40’s. I cannot believe we give foraying workers more rights than Canadians. We should be ready to pay to move our own citizens around in our country for jobs. The only people that benefit are the companies. The workers send their money home.The word temporary also is not true, it is backdoor immigration.
We need to look after our vet’s too.
Keep daily mail delivery.
Rebuild the rail system. Restore twice daily service between Halifax and Montreal, and daily service between Saint John and Montreal, with more frequent rail-liner service between Halifax and Moncton, and daily trans-continental train service between Toronto and Vancouver.
Legalize marijuana, and have it sold at govt. stores and the revenues used to reduce the debt.
Restore corporate taxation to 1970 levels, and increase personal income taxes on those earning more than $120,000 per year.
Double the number of doctors being trained each year, with special emphasis on psychiatrists and orthopaedic surgeons.
Drop plans to purchase the F-35 (or whatever number) fighter plane, but double spending for Coast Guard patrols of the coasts, to protect the fishery and reduce illegal immigration.
Ban fracking nationally.
There are so many things that need to be un-done, but at the root of all of them is Harper’s contempt for democracy. I believe that the very first measures that need to be taken are measures to restore democracy to Canada. This begins with the restoration of Canadians’ access to information, and indeed the restoration of the sources and repositories of the information themselves. It continues with the de-politicizing of the civil service, and all the all those semi-governmental organizations that are supposed to operate at arms length: Canada Revenue, Canada Post and so on. At the same time, the Elections Act (I certainly can’t call it “”fair””) must be repealed. Once the elements and mechanisms of democracy are restored, I believe other measures will fall into place. In order to do this I believe the next government needs to turn Harper’s anti-democratic weapon on the Conservatives and pass a series of omnibus bills that will sweep away the garbage of the last few years.
-Dismantle the Harper Conservative “”War Machine”” and get back to peacekeeping.
-Put science back in the governments tools of dealing with Climate change and the Environment.
-Keep Healthcare Public.
-Reform the political arena so our representatives in Ottawa represent us not the PMO.
Repeal the Fair Elections act and instead make robocalls illegal and give elections Canada the power to subpoena witnesses and compel them to testify with suitable punishment if they try to refuse. That is the most important thing. We want to prevent the subversion of the right to vote our choice.
The Conservatives have tried to use the civil service as a partisan weapon. The civil service, which includes our scientists, should do their jobs without fear or favour. Don’t allow the muzzling of scientists and don’t use the tax people to selectively punish groups who are opposed to something favoured by one party.
Pass a law that even retired politicians cannot accept board or advisory positions from companies whom they have deal with in the course of their political duties. We don’t want to see subversion of politician using the promise of a payoff as soon as the politician retires.
Stop trying to put as many Canadians in jail for as long as we can. We are NOT the USA. Let’s identify and try to help fix the reasons people end up on the wrong side of the law. Allow for easier bail for non-violent crimes. Prisons are too full of people on remand.
A clear separation of church & state. Harper is too far right and religious for a fair society to exist. Allow for assisted suicide and true safety for prostitutes.
Admit that global warming is a huge issue for our immediate future.
Support our troops during their service and after.
A government that is finally transparent.
look at the whole list of legislation created by that government. repeal the worst ones in their entirely. send the second worst ones to the provincial courts for expedited review and repeal of the aggregious sections. put all other legislation under review by all elected members to decide if they are worth keeping.
Scrap the Unfair Elections Act.
Stop all unfair trade deals
Re-instate the Navigation Protection Act.
To enhance the economy and create more jobs
To take support peace in the Mideast and not taking sides
To tax rich people more and support the low income families
To build strategies to develop aboriginal people more and help them to be more involved in making decisions
Restore the CBC to full funding.
Restore the compulsory long form census, and return Statistics Canada as a valuable source of trustworthy information.
Restore the long gun registry.
Restore environmental protection to all watersheds.
Allow the public, through the media, free and full access to all scientists to discuss their findings.
Restore the Canadian Wheat Board.
Fix the disaster that our rail transport system has become.
There’s lots more, but that’ll do for a start.
Remove the potential for any Harper 11 to gain power. This by far the most required action by whatever new government. Change our archaic electoral system, whereby 39 % of voters of the 54 % who did in 2011(adults plus, not registered voters),have impunity for 4 years to impose partisan policies and there is nothing the majority of voters(80 % of eligibles,if non-voters charitably included)can do about it for 4 years.MAKE EVERY VOTER GAIN TERM REPRESENTATION. By 2019..For how a leading democracy has been doing it for years,watch Sweden on FIXED election day, September 14. 80 % will vote,every voter for parties gaining at least 4 % of total votes gets represented, at 3 different levels,all which are voted on on Sept. 14.Many problems; having a rock solid democracy is not one of them.We are WAY behind.
Number one: to make sure we never again have a prime minister grabbing 100% of the power on 39% of the votes, implement proportional representation in time for the subsequent election.
First off we need to stop acting like physicians coming up with treatments for symptoms to the problem. We need to pinpoint the root to the real problem.
In my opinion, the root problem is greed. Laws have been changed to make it easier to obtain their greed. Blatant lies have been told to achieve, justify and maintain a stronger hold on this greed. All this finger pointing and media manipulation from all parties to discredit each other and accuse the other of greed, when they themselves have stolen from the people in the past.
So how would one address this ongoing issue of greed amongst our leaders?
LIST OF POSSIBLE SUGGESTIONS
* Anyone in politics (the higher the rank, the stricter this rule), is not permitted to have shares, ownership, investments of any kind in any company inside or outside our country. Any holdings/assets already in place prior to be put into office should be frozen. This should just about take care of people wanting the great honor of leadership because it’s lucrative. A leader should be there for the people, not for what can be squeezed out of the people.
* Laws are in place to protect all. People in politics or positions of authority of all people should be made answerable to these laws. They, more than any other should be made accountable to the highest degree. They are the example made to the public. Therefore, when they are caught breaking any of the laws, they need to be made a public example of what will happen when laws are broken. No acceptations. Perjury is perjury, theft is theft. It shouldn’t matter what position you hold.
* If a leader is found guilty or released from their position due to questionable conduct, they should be made to relinquish any and all benefits promised during their time in office. Including payouts. And repay for losses resulting from their actions.
Of course there is much more that needs to be done, but the root needs to be made healthy before the plant can flourish.
Bill C1: The Omnibus Repeal Act 2015. Repeal C10, C38, C45, C60, C23, – in fact: repeal everything this illegitimate government has passed.
Give us back our CBC Radio Two as a mostly classical station. CBC mamagement’s decisiion to torn the service into light fluff has entirely been trying to please the anti-culture faction in cabinet.
Revamp the criminal justice system so it is based on rehabilitation–not revenge
Re-establish our international reputation by being a neutral, peace making nation.
Believe again in national strategies such as a national suicide prevention strategy, national end of life strategy, autism, etc.
start funding the social services properly again to help the disenfranchised, poor, sick and disabled Canadians, treat our Vets w/ respect and give $$ to the war wounded…………I could go on and on but mostly get rid of Harper and his ilk!!!
Repeal “”Fair”” Elections act and give Elections Canada the power to force testimony in order to investigate 2011 election. Start formal corruption inquiry to investigate all the wrong doing of the Conservatives with the goal of reversing their legal changes that made previously illegal government activity legal and charge the Conservatives based on such activities. Expand rules on foreign money being able to be funneled to political parties through “”Canadian”” registered charities/companies. Pass political accountability act to place strict rules on politician’s behaviour that will place criminal penalties on politicians for lying to the public and create a code of conduct with criminal penalties for politicians to force the “”honourable”” behaviour that politicians are assumed to automatically exhibit. Only this will help “”un-Harper”” Canada and prevent future nightmares.
It’s clear Canada’s interests lie far beyond the usual “”strong economy”” discourse, and that we need to bide by Eleanor Roosevelt’s quote: “”Sometimes I wonder if we shall ever grow up in our politics and say definite things which mean something, or whether we shall always go on using generalities to which everyone can subscribe, and which mean very little.”” Harper took us “”out of the box””, and has destroyed the box. We need to think creatively and “”outside of the box.”” I can think of two main thrusts that would eventually feedback into caring for 3) social issues: 1) eco-friendly economy, 2) democracy strengthening.
1) Eco-Friendly Economy — If Canadians worry about health & care, they better up the priority given to the environment. Once heavy metals from mining will be all over the food chain and global warming will have brought tropical insects & diseases up north, it will be too late to realize there was a connection, and that belly-button logic was insufficient. Time to think “”longer-term-intertwined-effects.”” Investing in environment friendly higher technology, getting Canada in the list of eco-friendly patents, and supporting environment friendly industry will help reduce the deficit, create jobs, and raise the middle class income. We need to divest from 3rd world type “”natural resources.”” The IPCC message is clear, with very long term consequences if global warming reaches 2 deg C, and the likelihood of positive feedback kicking in. We have very few years to curb CO2 emissions and cap CH4 (methane), and that mainly calls for leaving more than 80% of known world oil reserves in the ground (never mind exploring the Arctic for *more* oil). By itself, this issue will have you protect lakes & waterways, rebuild the network of research centres, limit/stop the tar sands & pipelines, strengthen laws & regulation (the cleanup cost of an oil spill in USA is 12x that of Canada, apparently mainly because of cleanup criteria), foster the industry of renewables & provide different kinds of jobs, help shift the economy to higher technology industry, agree on a carbon tax that will help finance the kick-off by introducing social packages about construction standards & renovations, and changes in lifestyle & efficient public transit systems. Urbanization standards & plans should also be addressed. All in order to bring carbon mitigation stabilization wedges (http://www.21stcenturychallenges.org/focus/what-is-the-stabilisation-wedge-theory/) in full force.
2) Democracy Strengthening — Some form of proportional representation together with across the board transparency and accountability of MPs certainly is a good start. I’d go as far as introducing the possibility for the MP to be dishonourably discharged if he lies / abuses the system: not able to work for the federal gov. anymore, loses his pension, and pays for his legal fees. But I’m not “”articulated”” enough yet on these matters to suggest a backbone thrust that could ramify into all the desirable effects.
3) Social Issues — These come in many strands. I would hope (1) allows us to tackle a few. Others have to be regrouped under “”governing ideas / values,”” as for the Criminal Code. Basing the decisions on sound neutral information / research and “”best tried practices”” from other countries would certainly improve the degraded current situation. “”Restructuring of corporate taxes”” & “”closing of offshore loopholes”” — as has been suggested –, I find very attractive, as these would help cover the costs of social issues. As you can see, my thoughts need to evolve about these.
Fix the gutting of the Navigatable Waters act
Replace Canada’s FPTP electoral system with one that ensures representation that is in close proportion to the actual votes cast
Electoral reform getting rid of our First Past the Post system to prevent this type of “”majority”” Government. Decentralizing control AWAY from the PMO. Banning the use of Omnibus bills, time allocation proceedings, and extremely limiting the use of whipping votes (perhaps budget ones only). Passing a law to stop the endless stream of taxpayer funded partisan advertising (i.e. Action Plan ads), reversing ALL legislation passed during the Harper years. Making it a requirement that future PM’s hold regular sessions with the Press and ANSWER QUESTIONS. It should also be mandatory (and enforced by the Speaker) that real answers (not talking points or ridiculous stories) be given to questions posed in Question Period, and if an MP is found to be lying to Parliament (or the people) he should be removed from office.
Campaign funding from taxes only. No more corporate, union, or personal donations. Each party gets the same amount of funding, but they must be real political parties. Smarter people than I can figure that shit out.
Disband the Temporary Foreign Worker Program and return it to its Previous uses for seasonal farm workers. Labor market opinions for all foreigners that work in this country ,investigations into the misuse of all current programs including audits of all companies involved and criminal charges to businesses that colluded with the Stephan Harper government, including jail time. For all those non violent offenders currently serving mandatory minimums a full pardon where no victims of the crime were identified. Restore the corrections system,corrections being the primary objective not just warehousing and cruel punishment.
I know that we we will have a lot to do to “”un-Harper”” Canada, but I think the first order of business should be to have our new government “”Harper-proof”” Canada.
When our Constitution was drafted, nobody imagined in their wildest dreams that some rogue would become Prime Minister and destroy our democratic institutions and traditions from within. The assumption was that MPs would all be honourable. We have now learned that we can’t rely on that assumption.
We need electoral reform. We need recall legislation. We need a Speaker in the House of Commons who has teeth. We need true accountability and transparency. And we need serious consequences for any politician who thumbs his or her nose at our rules and laws.
Omnibus bill to repeal all of the environmentally-destructive policies implemented by the Harper regime. Also, fund and fully support Statistics Canada and bring back the long-form census.
Finally allow a free vote on the decision of when human life begins that Harper has prevented.
Reduce funding to the CBC so that only local CBC radio remains – something Harper promised and couldn’t deliver on.
…and reduce personal income taxes to an acceptable level.
Focus funding on rebuilding the social safety net that Canadians are proud of, and assemble a Royal Commission to enact change in regards to First Nations’ issues.
Raise corporate tax and reduce the tax burden on low-income families.
Establish the military as a peace-keeping organization, and fund their upgrades and our veterans.
End the oil sands and the proposed pipelines. Fund green/alternative energy projects.
Kill student loan debts and rewrite laws about student loans and post-secondary cost.
Here are a few ideas:
Remove mandatory minimum changes to the Criminal Code.
Unmuzzle scientists and create legislation to prevent future partisan governments from blocking publicly funded research from seeing the light of day.
Repeal the Fair Elections Act.
Restructure corporate taxes and differentiate from those that benefit Canadians and offer quality jobs.
End offshore loopholes.
Create legislation to make all public procurement truly transparent.
Create true transparency for government business unit expenditures (rather than phoney transparency).
End downloading of costs to make the federal budget look better than it is.
Work with provinces.
Become a responsible government and ensure infrastructure is better managed with adequate funding.
And….ACTUALLY REFORM THE BLOODY SENATE!!!!
Copyright © 2019 Atlantic Business Magazine