Fredericton mushroom-based preservative company sprouts funding
Chinova Bioworks, a company that makes a preservative called chitosan out of mushrooms for the food and beverage industry, has received $2 million investment money from DSM Venturing BV. Venture capital firm AgFunder and non-profit Natural Products Canada were also in on the round of funding that will go towards building Chinova’s team and scaling up manufacturing.
Unemployment falls across Canada, almost
According to Statistic’s Canada’s July data, unemployment dropped to 5.8 percent, a 0.2 per cent decrease. In Newfoundland, the number of people working increased dramatically by 2,400, while in the other three Atlantic Canadian provinces there was little change: Nova Scotia increased slightly to 8 per cent unemployment, while Prince Edward Island’s rose from 8.9 per cent to 9.5 and New Brunswick stayed the course at 7.5 per cent.
Plant-based restaurant putting down roots in St. John’s
A new vegan restaurant will soon be open in the former Jumping Bean coffee shop on Harvey Road. Green Kitchen, who are aiming to open at by the end of August, will focus on a variety of menu items like nachos and burgers, but everything will be plant-based and vegan.
New apartment building green lighted in Stratford
Stratford P.E.I.’s town council has approved the building of a five-story apartment building at Michael Thomas Way. The 79-unit building was okayed after the second application and a re-design of the building’s exterior, designed by SableArc Studios.
Halifax Thai restaurant opening shop in St. John’s
The much-loved Halifax eatery, Gingergrass Thai and Vietnamese Restaurant, has announced they will open a second location in St. John’s at the base of the new The MIX apartment building. After rent on their Halifax location was upped 100% owner Nira Nugroho closed shop a year ago and is still looking for a new Halifax location, but the St. John’s arm of Gingergrass is set to open this fall.
- Atlantic Canada’s Entrepreneurs Head to G20 Summit in Buenos Aires
- Illuminated! NS Power helps New Dawn Centre with new makerspace
- The Best Restaurants in St. John’s for a Business Lunch
- Donut miss this new shop in Saint John
- NSLC fills first cannabis order of 3.75 million grams
- Chopped: Chinese retail giants flourish while big banks close branches
- Tanking the ranking: Atlantic Canadian cities bomb MoneySense Best Places to Live
- Recipe for success
- Zoning in: New foreign trade areas, law firm incubators and breweries
- Starting up: New farmers’ market in St. John’s and startup conferences