The St. John’s Board of Trade held their annual Business Excellence Awards on November 28 at the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland. Training Works Inc. won both the Leader in Growth and Sales and Entrepreneurial Spirit awards while telehealth company Fonemed took away two awards from the luncheon, winning the Customer Service and Reliability and the overall Business Excellence Award. Kim Keating was awarded the Community Builder Volunteer of the Year award and Kristina Ennis was the winner of the new award, the Emerging Young Professional for fundraising more than $200,000 for United Way while working full-time at Exxon Mobil.
VMedia broadens telecom and TV services reach to Atlantic Canada
The Toronto-based telecommunications company VMedia Inc. has announced its expansion into the Atlantic provinces. VMedia’s internet, cable, home phone and home security services will now be available in all four East Coast provinces, extending their reach nationwide.
P.E.I. welcomes first axe-throwing lounge
Chuck Hatchets, P.E.I.’s first axe-throwing pub, opened its doors December 1. The lounge, located at 236 Kent Street next door to Sport Page Club, offers beer on tap from local breweries like Upstreet Craft Brewing and P.E.I. Brewing Company and food through local pizza shop Famous Peppers.
Saint John tech company purchased by Toronto firm
The New Brunswick-based EhEye, which developed video recognition software for public security has announced its purchase by Patriot One Technologies. The Toronto company purchased EhEye for more than $3.2 million in stock and will integrate the company’s technology with their Patscan weapon detection system.
Geek Bar relocates for more game space
St. John’s own Geek Bar has moved from its location in a corner of the Rock House to 290 Duckworth Street Street, the former home of the Reluctant Chef restaurant.. The Geek Bar will now have a designated room for Dungeons and Dragons play as well as a library, more craft beers on tap and a Harry Potter Great Hall when it celebrates its relaunch weekend on December 7.
- Win tickets to sold-out Obama event
- Coffee shop opens inside Volta Labs
- Startup Canada awards honour Atlantic entrepreneurs
- Volta bestows ecosystem awards to Atlantic Canadian startup supporters
- Feds invest $47-million into Port of Halifax
- Atlantic Business Magazine founders inducted into AJAs Hall of Fame
- P.E.I. welcomes five business leaders into hall of fame
- UNB to offer cannabis courses in tourism and business
- St. John’s flocks to The Rec Room entertainment and dining complex
- Halifax doughnut shop opens up the street from competition