There’s a lot of disappointed social media chatter over WestJet’s cancellation of the direct flight between St. John’s, N.L. and Dublin. Local business owners like Mallard Cottage restaurateur Todd Perrin and politicians were open about the effect this will have on the tourism industry. As the announcement was made, the airline reported the new direct flight between Halifax and Dublin with seasonal non-stop service beginning in April 2019.
Local companies named as Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures
Opportunities New Brunswick (ONB) was named one of the country’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures in the Broader Public Sector category November 22 at Waterstone Human Capital’s annual awards gala in Toronto. Southwest Properties was also named in the Mid-Market category.
Miniso announces second Halifax location
Asia’s low-cost lifestyle store Miniso is continuing their Canadian expansion with a second location announced for Halifax. With more than 50 stores open across the country, Miniso’s goal of opening 100 stores by 2019 is coming closer. The second location will open at the Halifax Shopping Centre.
P.E.I. Announces Startup Fund for Francophone entrepreneurs
RDÉE Île-du-Prince-Édouard Inc., the Island’s chapter of the francophone development organization, has teamed up with Innovation P.E.I. to launch a new contest for entrepreneurs. The $25,000 Ignition Startup Fund will be awarded to a French-speaking or bilingual entrepreneur in P.E.I. to help them launch a new business project or expand a new line of production.
Atlantic Canadians amongst Canada’s Most Powerful Women
Last week, KPMG’s Women’s Executive Network (WXN) named their Top 100 for the 2018 Canada’s Most Powerful Women at the Toronto event.
- Nova Scotia-born Denise Pothier, the Vice-President Practice Services & Vice-President Indigenous Relations at Stantec Consulting Ltd. won in the CIBC Trailblazers & Trendsetters category as did Faten Alshazly, Principal and Chief Creative Officer at WeUsThem Inc., also based in Nova Scotia.
- Laura Lee Langley the Deputy Minister, Office of the Premier, CEO of Communications NS and Public Service Commissioner Province of Nova Scotia won in the PwC Public Sector Leaders section.
- Ulrike Bahr-Gedalia, President and CEO of Digital Nova Scotia and Mandy Rennehan, Blue-Collar CEO™ & Founder of Freshco.ca were inducted into the WXN’s Top 100 Hall of Fame.
- Stats Can reports job gains in Atlantic Canada
- Peppereka offers fast-casual dining in Dartmouth
- Irving to hire 7500 people by 2021
- New Brunswick company scores on Dragon’s Den
- Atlantic Canada’s first vegan butcher shop opens in Halifax
- Rodd announces revamp of N.S. hotel
- Cannabis Legalization selected as business story of the year
- Landwash Brewery opens in Mount Pearl
- Training Works Inc. and Fonemed win double honours with St. John’s BOT
- New taco spot opens in Halifax pub